North & South Fambridge
North Fambridge is a village and civil parish on the Dengie peninsula in the English county of Essex. North Fambridge is on the north bank of the River Crouch opposite South Fambridge and is served by North Fambridge railway station on the Crouch Valley Line. Administratively, North Fambridge forms part of the ward of Purleigh in the district of Maldon. Adjoining the village is Blue House Farm, a 605-acre (2.45 km2) Site of Special Scientific Interest and nature reserve owned by the Essex Wildlife Trust.
In the Domesday Book, North Fambridge was known as 'Fanbruge'. North Fambridge is home to the Fambridge Yacht Haven Middle Distance Triathlon. The first event took place on 24 July 2011 and was the first Half Ironman Triathlon in Essex and the wider region.
The local public house is The Ferry Boat Inn. The North Fambridge Yacht Club is based in the village. Holy Trinity Church has been serving the community for at least 200 years.
South Fambridge is a village in Essex. It is located about 300 yards (0.17 miles) from the River Crouch. The village lies within the Rochford district and the parliamentary constituency of Rayleigh. Surrounded by farmland, it is reached by the Fambridge Road, approximately 1.5 miles from the main Ashingdon Road. The village was also the site of Britain's first airfield in 1909 funded by a Noel Pemberton Billing, which unfortunately did not prosper and closed shortly after opening.
The site has now been converted into a residential estate named Pemberton Field. On 20 February 2009 it was the 100th anniversary of the first experimental flights beside the River Crouch meadows. Kenneth Bannerman, Director General of the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust unveiled a memorial to the airfield. A Spitfire flown by Carolyn Grace took part in the Anniversary Commemoration, entertaining the crowd by carrying out some aerobatic manoeuvres.